Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Domestic Partners in Ohio... until next time...

After not receiving a reply for three weeks or so, I gave Jim Petro's office another call. After finally reaching them and being able to speak with someone, I know now what I assumed before. Without a case for a precedent, the enforcement of Issue 1 towards state-sponsored institutions is impossible. I was also informed that although no case is currently pending, it can be reasoned that one is in the works.

And another interesting point: the Attorney General's office informed me of quite a conundrum on their part. If someone sues one of the state institutions for providing domestic partner benefits, the Attorney General must defend the institution- as the office is responsible for presiding on behalf of the state. However, if someone would sue the state of Ohio over the constitutionality of Issue 1, the attorney General would also have to fight for the state, on the other side of the coin. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

No comments: