Monday, June 27, 2005

Tom Cruise: "I know and you don't!"

You know, I was going to write a little synopsis of Tom Cruise's insane ranting about psychotherapy against Matt Lauer on Today, but I decided that you should all read the transcript for yourselves. I'll only give you some of Tom's highlights:

"No, you see. Here's the problem. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do."

and:

"There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance."

and:

"The thing that I'm saying about Brooke [Shields] is that there's misinformation, okay. And she doesn't understand the history of psychiatry. She doesn't understand in the same way that you don't understand it, Matt."

and:

"Matt. Matt, Matt, you don't even - you're glib. You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, okay? That's what I've done."

and finally:

Lauer: You're telling me what's worked for people I know or hasn't worked for people I know. I'm telling you, I've lived with these people and they're better.

Cruise: So, you're advocating it.

Lauer: I am not. I'm telling you in their case, in their individual case, it worked.

Someone should let Tom know that saying "I know and you don't" without any kind of supporting evidence is a poor way to prove a point. It turns out that arguing with Tom Cruise is a little like arguing with a five-year-old.

No comments: