Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Why do they hate me?

Without going into too much detail, I had another incident in class today when my professor went on a 15-minute rant about how Republicans are only interested in big business and money and social justice is only something liberals support and Dick Cheney is the antichrist and etc, etc, etc...

One of my more thoughtful classmates even spoke up and said, "What if there was a conservative in this class? How would they feel?" I have obviously not made my political beliefs very well known.

Before I could speak up another classmate of mine did. She rebuked our "progressive" professor for his foolish opinions, and argued that she and her husband (a minister) are conservative and both work for social justice every day.

Dr. LiberalIndoctrinator denied his previous statements, and claimed that he would never define "social justice" as ascribing to either political party.

I then couldn't take it any longer. I pulled a Yoda from Episode I:

Now Dr. Repubsareevil seemed to realize the weight of what he was implying, and hesitated. "I don't presume-"

"But you do!" I interjected sharply. "Revealed your opinion is."

I pointed my finger at him and told him that he was making that exact argument. I told him that he did believe that a particular political ideology was necessary for success in my master's program and that he has been saying it all semester.

So my question remains: why does he hate me? Why can separate his political convictions from class? Why do I have to sit through week after week of "conservatives are evil" and "Jesus was a liberal social activist?"

Oh, well. Like I said before, if I didn't want to be harassed for being a Christian or a conservative I would never have gone into Higher Education and Student Affairs...

No comments: