Monday, June 26, 2006

True Colors

Coming up to the docket in the Senate is the flag burning amendment to the Constitution, which would allow Congress to legally prevent the American flag from being burned. The amendment is receiving widespread support from both parties.

I, however, have to say that I'm against any such amendment. I feel that any such attempt at limiting use of the flag is a bit of a slippery slope. The amendment would be for personal satisfaction only, as the flag could still be desecrated in a number of ways by a willing party. I also believe that anyone willing to damage the flag in such a way is showing their own feelings toward the United States, and repressing their expression will allow them to become legal martyrs. Also, I think that people who hate America so much as to burn it's flag should not be sanctioned - they should be allowed to demonstrate their hatred openly in order to more easily align themselves with terrorists, Palestinians, and any other allies of terror in the world.

Let's not stop these self-loathing fools - I'd rather everyone see them for who they really are.

No comments: