Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The lies of the left

Going along with the theme of poor lefty blogs, Atrios today has an intensely dishonest edit of one of Bush's speeches at a dinner supporting Arizona Senator John Kyl. Atrios links to a blog that edits Bush's speech to include only his references to NASCAR and the far east:

You know, I just recently came off a trip to the Far East...And it struck me that I was in a region of the world where there -- where wars had started.

That does sound pretty stupid. However, this wasn't a televised address to the nation or even a radio fireside chat, this was a casual and humorous talk at a dinner. If you can avoid the left's edits, here is what Bush really said:

You know, I just recently came off a trip to the Far East. By the way, representing the United States of America around the world is one of the great experiences of the presidency. And it struck me that I was in a region of the world where there -- where wars had started. You know, my dad and Senator McCain's relatives, I'm sure many of your relatives, fought the Japanese. They were our sworn enemy. And yet there I was in Kyoto, Japan, sitting with my friend, Prime Minister Koizumi, talking about the peace, talking about what we can do in the Far East to work together to keep the peace, and what we can do in the Middle East to help rid that region of resentment and hatred, to help change the breeding grounds for the recruitment of suiciders into a hopeful place. Isn't that amazing? Think about that. Who would have thought 50 years ago, or 60 years ago, a President of the United States could have stood here in Phoenix, Arizona, and said he sat down at the table with the Prime Minister of Japan talking about the peace. Nobody would have thought that way then.

What Bush was talking about was the potential of freedom and Democracy in a world that so desperately wants it - the Bush Doctrine. The fact that freedom and Democracy (yes, imposed from the top down) can so radically change a country as Japan from our enemy to our friend should give us great hope for the future of Iraq.

The left, however, wants you to think the Bush is just an idiot. Nice edit, Atrios. I have removed that blog from the sidebar - it is too worthless to remain. If anyone has any ideas for one to replace it I'm open to it.

No comments: